There is nothing better than using a change of seasons to provide you with the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and give both your mind, body and home a little refresh. Just like we like to eat seasonally, our movement and self care practices are just as important to protect and maintain true health and wellbeing. Are you ready to increase your vitality? Keep reading to discover how you can through Ayurveda with food, self care, sleep and movement.
When it comes to understanding our bodies through holistic goggles, we gravitate towards Ayurveda as it speaks to us gently and clearly. If you haven’t discovered your Dosha (body mind type) take a look at our quiz here to reveal yours.
Ayurveda and the seasons
In winter, the air and earth are dry and cool and the sunshine is weaker. Therefore, our vata energy is elevated which increases feelings of anxiety, dry skin, weight gain and muscle stiffness. Can you relate? Therefore, making time to transition into these glorious warmer days of the spring time is going to be helpful on so many levels, especially to avoid toxin build up which can result in nasty outcomes.
When the sun begins to come out to play for a little longer, the flowers start to show their heads those with allergies start to feel the impact of Kapha in their respiratory system. Some of us encounter phlegm and experience asthma, coughing and sinus problems. Does this sound familiar? This is Kapha coming out to play in our bodies, therefore, our focus for Spring is to help balance our Kapha.
So what are the ways we like to support our Kapha during spring to increase our vitality?
- Upon waking enjoy a mug of warm water + lemon to help move those toxins out of your body
- Aim for 8 cups of filtered water each day
- Choose fresh organic produce
- Choose warm, light cooked meals such as steamed vegetables, fish, soups, frittatas, amaranth, quinoa, lots of lightly cooked leafy greens are all great options
- When it comes to fruit we love easier to digest options such as papaya, apples, pineapple, prunes and figs
- Aim to add detoxifying spices to each meal such as turmeric, cumin, fennel, coriander, black pepper and ginger. Our Organic Turmeric Latte Powder is a great blend of all of these supporting herbs and spices.
- Decrease your intake of red meat, fried and oily foods, processed grains and dairy as they are ‘heavy’ and hard to digest
- When it comes to our juice, take it out of the fridge an hour before you are due to consume it, to bring it up to room temperature, so it is kinder on your digestion
- Aim for lunch time to be your biggest meal of the day at 12 noon, as during this time our digestive fire is its strongest
Abhyanga (Self Massage) – we love undertaking this practice with organic sesame oil before our warm shower each night to help loosen impurities, to allow those nasty toxins to flow into our digestive system to be excreted effectively. See instructions here.
Aim for 8 hours each night, drifting off by 10pm and rising before 6am. Introducing this sleep routine helps to maintain our microcirculatory channels to clear out those toxins. It is best to avoid day time naps, as this starts to clog our channels and prevent our energy flowing freely
During spring our muscles are strongest between 6 am – 10 am, therefore, it is important for us to start our day with a brisk walk or yoga to help move and melt away our excess kapha. When we cleanse our lungs with pranayama breath, it helps to cleanse our lungs and warm our kidneys to help rid the body of what is not serving it and stoke the fire of our digestive system.
So take a moment to digest all of what we have just shared, pause, sit with it and see what resonates with you to help you on your journey this spring. When we break it down into small bites, its much more ‘do-able’.
Remember, that each of our journeys are different, change is messy, it’s not all about those glorious ‘highlights’ we post via social media. Cleansing helps us reveal what we have been avoiding for goodness knows how long, so take a minute to breathe into each emotion and thought pattern that arises in order to reveal what has always been there, our higher self.
If you would like us to help you on your journey through an Ayurvedic Spring Cleanse following the steps mentioned above, feel free to check out our Warm Cleanse, Wholefood Cleanse or Custom Cleanse options to ignite your fire.