According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Spring is the season of the wood element and the corresponding organs are the liver and gall bladder, the flavour is sour and the energetic movement is up and out. Just like our gardens full of new shoots, it’s a beautiful time for us to welcome change, growth and expansion. Moving in harmony with the seasons will allow us to feel more energy, start new projects and moving outward after hibernation through winter time.
Spring invites us to lighten our digestive load with fresh, lightly cooked foods after the heavier, comfort eating in winter. Green veggies are full of magnesium and chlorophyll to help relax our muscles, calm our mind, alkalise our blood and most importantly, help our liver regulate and excrete toxins.
This Spring Green Salad Recipe is full of fresh greens and a lemon dressing. Sour ingredients are important to incorporate during Spring – a sour taste vibrates at the same frequency as the liver and can help it function at an optimal level. This is the best time to look after your liver, so this recipe will be perfect for you!
1 zucchini – sliced
1 capsicum – sliced
10 cherry tomatoes – halved
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 C cannellini beans – drained and rinsed
⅓ C almonds
1 handful baby spinach leaves
1 handful rocket leaves
1 small handful sprouts
1 bunch basil
1 bunch parsley
1 garlic clove
½ tsp salt
¼ C lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)
½ C olive oil
¼ C water
- Heat oven to 200℃. Put capsicum, zucchini and cherry tomatoes into a roasting tray. Drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle over salt and pepper and place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are soft and turning golden brown.
- While the vegetables are cooking put almonds and cannellini beans into two separate trays and cook in the oven alongside the vegetables for approximately 5 minutes each.
- Remove vegetables, beans and almonds from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Put all dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Divide the baby spinach, rocket and sprouts into two bowls and top with the vegetables, beans and almonds. Serve with the dressing.
Some more liver-friendly foods for Spring you could try are: pickles, bamboo shoots, eggplant, lemon, vinegar, bee pollen, fennel, lotus, broccoli rabe, garlic, safflower oil, dandelion greens, ginger, and scallions.
Spring Organic Wholefood Pack
Especially designed for the revitalising energy of Spring, our delicious refreshing Spring Organic Wholefood Pack will give you a complete spring clean as you prepare your body for a new lease of life. All the recipes incorporate lots of seasonal fresh greens especially selected for their ability to support detoxification and enhance your wellbeing.
Each day for 3 days you will enjoy a delicious smoothie for breakfast, a refreshing Radiant juice, a salad full of fresh greens for lunch and a soul warming soup for the cooler evenings.
Hand-made from the freshest organic produce and whole food ingredients (plus a bucket of love) – all vegan friendly & gluten free.
Click here to see what’s inside and order now.